Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. This is my first Top 10 Tuesday post, and this week the theme is: Secondary/Minor Characters Who Deserve More Love
Hi Guys! It’s been a while since I did a Top Ten Tuesday but I’m on holiday this week so have a bit more time to make some blog posts. This theme is really hard for me! So I might cover characters that aren’t protagonists, not just secondary and minor characters. What does that even mean haha? Here we go.
1) OK so we have Sabran from The Priory of the Orange Tree. She’s actually a pretty big character but doesn’t have her own point of view. I love her so much (and this whole book to be honest).
2) Skadi in The Witch’s Heart is one of my favourites! I loved everything about this book and it’s messy characters where you can’t quite work out their motivations.
3) All of Meddy’s aunts and her mum in Dial A for Aunties. Absolutely loved this book, it left me in stiches the whole way through. Highly recommend it for a good laugh, if you can get past how wild it is.
4) OK, so the ghost of the grandmother in Black Water Sister is also amazing, and definitely provided some great humour intermingled with the more series topics in this book. I love Zen Cho and everything she put into this book.
5) The Boyfriend Project gave us London and Taylor as the protagonist Samiah’s new best friends after they’re all being cheated on by the same guy. Honestly this was such a good book for positive friendships between women and I am here for it, hence London and Taylor making this list.
6) Just about every character in Becky Chambers’ wayfarers series is wonderful and cute. I am obsessed with them all, I can’t even name them. I think Sissix is my fave in The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet.
7) Having just finished Under the Whispering Door by T.J. Klune, I think I’ll bring up the grandfather character again! Such a caring man, delaying passing to the other side to care for his grandson. We stan Nelson!!!
8) So Second First Impressions gave birth two two ninety something year old retirement home women named the Parlonis and I loved these icons with all my heart. These novels that include character interactions between generations really have my heart.
9) I love an eccentric mentor character and Jiang Ziya from The Poppy War is just that. Can’t believe he made Rin run up a mountain carrying a pig, but there we go.
10) Finally…Fire by Kristin Cashore. Hanna is Brigan’s daughter, she’s only 5 and I love her a lot as a minor child character. She has had a tough life but she’s also so strong, and I really felt for her not getting along with the other kids. At least she stands up for hersef!
There we go, 10 side characters I thought I’d give a shout out. What do you think? I definitely cheated a bit because I have an awful memory. What side characters are your favourites? Let me know!