Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. This is my first Top 10 Tuesday post, and this week the theme is: Halloween Freebie! So I’m going to choose my favourite contemporary YA novels.
1) Meat Market by Juno Dawson. A grim look at the fashion industry and its treatment of models, this is one of my favourite books of all time.
2) The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis. I mentioned this in my last Top 10 but honestly it’s so unique. It’s one of the best YA books out there, but it’s very dark.
3) A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson. Again, this one hasn’t changed from last week. I read it recently and loved it – it’s a great YA thriller that I have a lot of love for.
4) Sadie by Courtney Summers. Another that I love! A friend gifted me this and it’s so heartbreaking!!!
5) There’s Something About Sweetie by Sandhya Menon. This book is incredible, I love the culture, the romance and the characters.
6) With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo. I love this perspective on teenage motherhood. Emoni is one of my favourite protagonist (and this book has such amazing descriptions of food).
7) You Should See Me in a Crown by Leah Johnson. Ah this one is so much fun I swear! Liz Lighty is an amazing protagonist and I am in love with this book.
8) Furia by Yamile Saied Méndez. One of the most level-headed protagonists I’ve ever read in YA, Camila is a joy to read about. This is the only book I’ve read that is set in Argentina and I really loved it!
9) Radio Silence by Alice Oseman. Ah, one of my first loves of reading contemporary YA books. This is a book that captured academic pressure and choices perfectly for me. Highly recommend it.
10) Break the Fall by Jennifer Iacopelli. This one is for all the gymnastics fans out there. I really liked this book – it links closely to what’s happening in USA gymnastics today and after the last few years. This one will always be close to my heart.
There we have it, ten of my top YA contemporary novels. There are a lot more I could have put on this list but I could only choose ten! What are your fave YA contemporary books? Let me know in the comments.