Hi everyone! This week I’m participating in Six for Sunday for the first time, a meme hosted by Steph at A Little But a Lot. This month, the focus is on book characters, and this week’s topic is: Devious Main Characters.
1) I just finished The Court of Miracles by Kester Grant and Nina, the protagonist, is definitely devious. She’s always throwing a spanner in the works for the reader! You can find my review of this amazing debut novel here.
2) How can I make a post about devious characters without mentioning the notorious Kaz Brekker from Six of Crows? Kaz is a master schemer which means the plot of this duology is awesome.
3) Alessandra from The Shadows Between Us is full of ambition. She’s definitely the kind of girl that will stop at nothing to get what she wants, including killing The Shadow King by making him fall in love with her. Her task will definitely take all of her devious skills if she’s going to succeed!
3) Time for a contemporary devious character. Pip from A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder is honestly a good bean – but that doesn’t mean she doesn’t have a devious streak! Interviewing people of interest in a murder case that everyone thinks is already solved definitely takes some nerves of steel. You can read my review here.
5) Oh Nehza, you broke my heart. The Poppy War trilogy has plenty of devious characters including the protagonist Rin. But Nehza is one of a kind in terms of being a character that you can’t trust and don’t know whether you’re supposed to love them or hate them. You can read my review of the eARC of The Burning God, the final instalment in the series, here.
6) Finally, back to the contemporary genre – Evelyn Hugo from The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. I actually named a cactus after Evelyn – I definitely put her in the devious character category, especially as she has kept some huge secrets!
In my choices, devious doesn’t exactly equal bad. I love characters that are full of surprises with more than a few tricks up their sleeves. What do you think of my choices? Have you read any? Let me know in the comments and link your Six for Sunday posts!